Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Love hurts when it punches your face

So yeah, I saw Scott Pilgrim vs The World today. And, honestly, so should you if you haven't seen it already. It's an absolutely fantastic movie, beginning to end, with great action, amazing dialogue, pitch-perfect humour, flawless timing, great music, and pop culture references that not only add the the movie if you know them, but doesn't detract from the movie if you don't. A+ on almost every aspect.

Almost, I said. So why did I say that? Well, let's take a look at the character interaction.

Scott interacts great with his band.

Scott interacts great with his gay roommate.

Scott interacts great with his sister and the foul-mouthed store clerk who seems to work everywhere in Toronto.

Scott interacts fantastic with his opponents, the Seven Evil Exes.

Scott interacts incredibly with Knives.

Everyone mentioned interacts well with each other too.

Hold on, something's missing here.

And that, folks, is the BIG GIANT FLAW in the whole damn movie. Scott interacts really crappy with Ramona, who's supposed to be this great love of his life. Really, it's like they're not a real couple at all, they're just people standing next to each other by chance, who kiss for some reason. I get Scott being fascinated, because she's a good character, hot, etc. I get Ramona being attracted (barely) because he's non-psychotic. But that's it. There's no chemistry, and we're never shown any real reason for them to be together in the first place.

Which is especially baffling, because he's great with Knives, and actually seems to be happy when they're together. Certainly there's chemistry there, which unfortunately highlights how little there seems to be between him and Ramona.

Is it enough to sink the movie? No. Not at all. It's still a fun, fast-paced, seriously geek-friendly movie that earns that A+ rating I gave it above, even if you do have to suspend your disbelief at the Scott/Ramona relationship.

Now, let's see Knives get her own movie, she was AWESOME!

Oh, and here' some sketches.








2 comments:

Cristian AvendaƱo said...

Hey! dalf from scans_daily here.
Great blog! I like how you post your process. I wish I had enough willpower to do that with my own stuff XD
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I hope to do it soon. I really liked the books, and it's the first american comic my girlfriend completely loves, so...
Here's my DA in case you're interested!
http://dalf-rules.deviantart.com/

Unknown said...

its really good craft and love to see that art.iphone development india