Monday, August 3, 2009

You're a liar, Pastor Tom

I'm sure a few of you are aware, but I'll lay it out. Like Slartibardfast, I am a big fan of science. Good science, cool science, awesome science, mad science, whatever. I'll never be a scientist myself, but that doesn't stop me from thinking science is a blast. And one place I get to see a lot of it is at the forefront of the war between Creationism and, well, actual science. So I watch places like Conservapedia (not so much these days, the place has gotten dull), the rather unsuccessful YEC spin-off A Storehouse of Knowledge, and so forth.

Well, via PZ Myers, I found Tome Estes, a Baptist minister who seems to think he's got the goods on them evilutionists and atheists and whatnot. So when he set his sights on old PZ, I thought I'd have a look.

Oh boy, what a fruitcake. Bad logic, worse science, repeating the worst fabrications and outright lies we've heard from Creationists for years. But he's not the reason I was happy to find it. No, it's the commenters. The folks who look at the stuff Tom's spewing and say "woah now, hold on a minute, that just ain't so". Sure, it's not going to sway ol' Tom, he's way beyond learning much of anything. But the refutations, that's candy. Go have a look through some of his entries, see what I mean.

If there's one good thing about Creatards and IDiots, they draw a lot of really smart people out of the woodwork to defend good, old-fashioned SCIENCE!

And that said, here's some lips. Mwah!



No comments: